23 - 27 June 2014 Konstanz - Island Reichenau
Core facility managers find themselves in a variety of different roles that demand a broad set of skills they traditionally haven’t been taught in their academic career. Managing budgets, marketing facility services, negotiating, dealing with hierarchy, dealing with conflicts in a team or recruiting the right people are some of the challenges people typically face in this position. GerBI has hired hfp consulting, a group who specialises in supporting scientists to improve their leadership and management skills, to develop and run an intense, interactive and highly specialised workshop that addresses these challenges.
- 1 Course description
- 2 Instructors
- 3 Venue
- 4 Terms and Conditions
- 5 Registration
- 6 Evaluation
In this practical course, designed specifically for Core Facility Managers in Bioimaging, you will learn how to:
- balance your different roles
- build a productive team culture
- deal with conflicts constructively
- manage your time better
- delegate tasks more effectively
- deal with different personalities in the team
- position your facility in your organisation strategically
- negotiate more effectively
- hire the right people
- manage your budget
We approach these topics practically. Short theoretical inputs are followed by extensive exercises. Our goal is to increase the impact of the training by immediately applying the concepts we teach in partner exercises, case studies, and simulations during the workshop. The course language is English.
- Monday, 23 June
- Tuesday, 24 June
- 09.00 Start of the workshop
- 18.00 End of day 1
- Wednesday, 25 June
- 09.00 Start of day 2
- 18.00 End of day 2
- Thursday, 26 June
- 09.00 Start of day 3
- 18.00 End of day 3
- Friday, 27 June
- 09.00 Start of day 4
- 12.30-13.00 Wrap-up and farewell
- 13.00-14.00 Lunch
- 14.00 Departure
Following institutes and organisations work with hfp consulting on a regular basis:
- Ben Gurion University, Beersheba
- EMBO, Heidelberg
- Harvard Medical School, Boston MA
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge MA
- PRBB Intervals Programme, Barcelona
- School of Molecular Medicine, Milan
- SystemsX.ch, Zürich
- Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa
- Yale School of Medicine, New Haven CT
- Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot
The course will take place at the Ganter Hotel Mohren, Konstanz - Island Reichenau (Germany).
Getting there and away
Konstanz main station is served by several railway lines:
- from Stuttgart via Singen,
- from Zürich by the Swiss Federal Railway, and
- from Offenburg crossing the Black Forest.
- Zürich Airport: direct train connection to Konstanz.
- Friedrichshafen Airport: fast ferry service to Konstanz from Friedrichshafen harbour.
A shuttle between Konstanz main station/harbour and the Hotel will be organized for arrival (in the evening of 23 June) and departure (in the afternoon of 27 June).
Terms and Conditions
This course is meant for scientists working or planning to work in an imaging core facility. Initially, registration is only open to applicants with German citizenship and/or who are working in Germany. From 1 May onwards, application will be open to all nationalities.
is 6 June 2014, but places are allocated to eligible applicants on a "first come, first served" basis.
For cancellations received 32 calendar days before the beginning of the course (22 May), fees will be refunded minus 25 € for administrative costs. After this 32 day rule, no refund will be possible for last minute cancellation or no-show. If cancellation is due to sickness then a medical certificate is required. Cancellations must be sent to Nadine Utz.
The course fee includes four nights single accomodation, meals, and training. This course is highly subsidized by German BioImaging.
Please write one sentence that encapsulates your experience on the course:
- Very good introduction to soft skills basics, will help me in my daily professional life.
- Gave me another perspective on many workplace situation and insight how to approach the solution. I can now better imagine what management is about, before it was too abstract.
- Very useful to see different techniques how to behave or solve certain situations.
- Didn’t now I am ‘belly’ driven, but to accept because..
- Its really great learning experience that especially met my needs
- A very nice and relaxed atmosphere that set the frame for a very good course where I learned a lot over skills needed for my job.
- A lot of useful strategies/tools were presented in the course (and practiced) that one could / has to transfer to ‘real life’.
- Overall the course was very good! I could have wished for more exercises and more feedback from the trainers. Also, I would have to love to hear more about team dynamics, eg. group thinking.
- Was forced to step back and have a look at my own behavior and actions and learn where to alter them.
- I obtained and ability to see my job from a different perspective.